Coconut oil, with its many health benefits, is probably one of the most versatile products on the planet. It’s relatively cheap and readily available. Over the next few fridays we will explore the various ways in which you can use and benefit from this magical oil!
This week’s focus is on coconut oil as a cosmetic & personnel hygiene product:
1. Moisturizer: Before drying off after a shower, simply rub some oil all over your body (including body and face) for hydrated and smooth skin.
2. Toothpaste: Its as easy as mixing equal parts coconut oil with baking soda and viola you have toothpaste.
3. Leave-in conditioner: Rub in a tablespoon of oil from your roots (or scalp if its dry) before going bed. Wear a shower cap to avoid getting the oil on your bedding!
4. Hair gel/de-frizz: Use just as you would use any other gel or de-frizz product. The only difference with the coconut oil you only need a TINY (I mean really small) amount!
5. Lip balm: applying coconut oil to you lips will make them shiny and kept them moist!
6. Eye cream/Make-up remover: It is a gentle and highly effective in getting all your makeup off without clogging your pores or causing irritation.
7. Before shave: Apply the oil to the areas you are going to shave before shaving will soften you hair follicles enabling a closer shave.
8. Aftershave: will help your skin heal after shaving (especially if you have nicked yourself in the process!).
9. Deodorant: It can be used on its own or mixed with baking soda and arrowroot.
10. Sunscreen: This is particularly effective since coconut oil has a natural SPF. It can again be used on its own or made even more protective by adding ingredients such as zinc and other oils.
12. Massage Oil: rub and massage. Need I say more.
13. Love lubricant: Beware it is not compatible with latex!
14. Body Scrub: Coconut oil mixed with sugar or salt can be used in the shower to wash away all impurities leaving you with soft glowing skin.
Next week will explore some of the healing properties of coconut oil!